HappyDude88's Search

About Me

My photo
Hello, this is Siwri88, better known to some as Simon. Currently work as a picture researcher and product editor with a leading publishing company that works with trading cards and sticker albums on a variety of licenses in sport and entertainment. Freelance Journalist and writing a book in my spare time. Achieved a 2:1 studying BA Hons Journalism at the University of Northampton (2009-2012). Enjoy reading!

Friday 1 July 2011

Video games - An addictive, but not excessive hobbie

By Simon Wright (Personal piece)


AS I sit in my place in Northampton, counting down the days until I go home to Milton Keynes for the best part of two months, I think a bit more about one of my hobbies that I have enjoyed and have entertained me for a long time, the video game.  However, before anyone jumps to any conclusions, it’s only an addictive trait of mine – I’m not one of those freaks who drink gallons of coffee, stare into the TV screen excessively and do permanent damage to my eyesight.  If you have that life, then that’s fine, but it must cost an absolute fortune in prescription glasses, so I hope it’s worth it!
     I remember my first console machine, which was the Sega Mega Drive.  Playing classic games like Sonic the Hedgehog, NFL 93, running rings around American football teams with the Miami Dolphins and the early FIFA games, which let’s face it, were terrible, as the players looked like mushrooms and the football was a paper ball, when you could make a better version in nursery!  Nevertheless, the Mega Drive was a great breakthrough in gaming technology and ultimately, Sega’s best attempt at a console.  The Dreamcast was an utter disaster and as for Sega Saturn, I don’t have any words to describe that are nicer than rubbish!
     My view of gaming changed in 1997, through one of the most powerful slogans I can remember and one of the best TV commercials I ever saw.  The ‘Double Life’ Playstation ad really spoke to me.  Sony had created a monster as far as I was concerned and what I mean by that, that’s a monster of beauty.  I mean, who couldn’t be appealed by ‘Do Not Underestimate the Power of PlayStation.’  I certainly didn’t and through the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 – I was blessed with Sony games for the next 12 years.  I have every single Formula One title, got appealed by Crash Bash, drove like a maniac on Crazy Taxi and The Simpsons Road Rage, became a legend on the WRC rally games and of course, the football battle between FIFA and ProEvo, which in those days, FIFA was winning hands down.
     What were my favourite PlayStation memories?  It’s difficult to choose actually, though I remember one of my friends commentating on some football game which I think involved Ronaldo (the chubby Brazilian that is!) and Barry Davies, the legendary BBC voice actually telling him to shut up!  Whether it was an error with the game or the console, I don’t know, but quite impressive I thought!  Then, there was Murray Walker, who’s excitement was crystal clear on the early Formula 1 games, with terms shouted out like; HE’S JUST HIT DAMON HILL! OR FISI-C-H-ELLA, Martin, it looked like he hit the wall there.  I like Murray’s dedication, even for your finish.  Say, if you had finished 19th, he’d mention it.  “19th; Shinji Nakano (Another Japanese idiot who had no credentials btw) – well his team boss won’t be happy with that result!”
SMART: My clever collection of XBox 360 games in my flat
     Ultimately, the PlayStation 3 never quite appealed to me, but the Xbox 360 did.  I often would trial the Xbox in Zaavi (an entertainment store before it went bust during the recession.)  I got a taste for the new type of gaming; the better graphics, the more virtual reality experience and I wanted a machine to myself.  In 2009, my brother and I got one of the Arcade versions and I bought a newer, 4GB elite version for myself last summer to go into my room whilst at University.  My greatest achievement on the Xbox has to be either winning the FA Cup on World Class difficulty with the legendary Coventry City (hope Farida’s still proud haha!) on FIFA 11 and winning the 2011 FIA Formula One World Championship with Virgin Racing, the ultimate backmarkers in the sport in real life!  So I guess, this proves I’m a king of racing games.  I’ve even taken the plunge into karaoke and been trying my art at the Lips singing games.  Sadly, I can’t sing but it’s still a laugh to perform classics like ‘Karma Chameleon’ and ‘Tubthumping,’ then also embarrassing songs such as ‘Barbie Girl,’ and ‘Wannabe,’ by the Spice Girls!  Oh dear!
CONTROL: The XBox 360 is the console to have at the moment
     For me, I like to play at least an hour a day if I can, because it means I can escape into the virtual reality world, especially if I have had a bad day.  I can have bad days on the Xbox and not get anything right on the game I’m playing.  For people who know me, they know that I can get really competitive.  I simply hate losing to the computer!  For me, it mocks me when that happens.  Sometimes, I can accept it and move on, especially when the computer beats you fair and square, but it gets frustrating when you batter an opposition with 36 attempts on goal, yet still lose 1-0!  That’s when you do think, Grr!  And don’t get me near a tennis game, because when I play a bad shot, the profanity that comes out of my mouth, because I’m annoyed tells its own story!
     So, as you can see, I love the video game and can have addictive crazes to certain games (The Sims 3, how sad am I!) but, I know when to stop and not carry on.  The most I’ve ever played without taking a serious break ever is around four hours.  Normally, an hour a day (two when I have nothing to do) is enough for me and gives me the satisfaction without becoming excessive.  Plus, it might be gripping, but how can playing the likes of Halo, Call of Duty etc like non-stop for 30 hours straight be entertaining, interesting and healthy!  Those who do that, its your life, but you are wasting away.  Enjoy your gaming in moderation and it will feel better is my tip.  I mean, it’s worked for me for the best part of 15 years, so why shouldn’t it for anyone else.  
     If you say to me ‘I love excessive gaming and it’s my life,’ then your need your brain testing!  Forget scoring an attractive girl if that’s the case, because she can do much better!  Balance is an important asset of life, so don’t go down the excessive gaming route.  I lot of people will just reject you, it’s as simple as that.  Good afternoon and goodbye!  

No comments:

Post a Comment