HappyDude88's Search

About Me

My photo
Hello, this is Siwri88, better known to some as Simon. Currently work as a picture researcher and product editor with a leading publishing company that works with trading cards and sticker albums on a variety of licenses in sport and entertainment. Freelance Journalist and writing a book in my spare time. Achieved a 2:1 studying BA Hons Journalism at the University of Northampton (2009-2012). Enjoy reading!

Wednesday 21 December 2011

Bye bye everybody...the final blog!

By Simon Wright (Blogger of HappyDude88)


SO, WE have reached the conclusion of this journey and after 22 months, it is ‘Time to Say Goodbye.’  Or is it, ‘The Final Countdown.’  Either way, each song is good.

When I began my blog, first on LiveJournal, before switching to BlogSpot in February 2010, I thought this might only last six weeks/two months before I got bored.  However, I haven’t and I have enjoyed the majority of the content I have uploaded on here, even if some blogs were far more difficult to write than others.

Before I begin, I have had some questions on why I am stopping now and not continuing.  Well, there is a combination of reasons behind my decision.  First of all, this was something I decided back at the end of June, even before I started my work placement in London with Runner’s World magazine.  I was happy with the decision I made back then and although, admittedly, I’ve had a few doubts in recent weeks, I have to stick to what I decided back then.  If I continued into 2012, I would have felt that I needed to do another year of blogging, not say six months.  I don’t think I would have the time to do that.  Also, I am aware that 2012 poses some significant and massive challenges ahead of me.  I have five months left of my journalism degree at the University of Northampton and need to put 100 per cent focus onto finishing off my dissertation and beginning my TV filming on technology for my Individual Practical Project.  Time will be of the essence and I’m afraid, I’m not going to be able to give the blog the time and dedication it would deserve.  Plus, it is best that I went out on a high, rather than a low and see my standards decrease.  Therefore, it is best that I ended things now, rather than let the site decline.

Of course, there are lots of people to thank for supporting the website, giving me constructive or sometimes, damming criticism.  However, I can’t thank you all personally.  You do know who you are, but I don’t want to send anyone to sleep!  But, I do want to thank some people especially, who have supported me, helped me out and always been there for me over the past two years.

First person I want to thank is my brother, Jason Wright.  Over the past two years, Jason has provided extra content for this website on the world of entertainment.  He has been my entertainment expert.  His witty contributions to The X-Factor, Dancing on Ice and many award ceremonies have certainly added a good vibe to the site.  Jason will go on to start his own entertainment site in the New Year and I urge you all to follow it when I get the link up.  I hope you have as much enjoyment on your own site J, as I did with this one.

Jason is not the only writer who has produced a blog on this site.  A friend of mine through the days at Milton Keynes College, Charlie Gardiner wrote an Avatar review for the site, Rochelle Lye did a blog on Doctor Who for me and Robert Jones contributed a 2010 FIFA World Cup preview with me last year.  I want to thank them for helping the blog in its early stages, before me and Jason took things on in its later life.  Also, thank you to the followers of this blog and again, you know who you are.

Another friend of mate gave me the inspiration to move to BlogSpot in the first place, who deserves a mention and that is Anthony Ashfield.  I was at Milton Keynes College with Anthony or ‘Fat Tony’ as he is better known to his close friends and he suggested I should look at BlogSpot, rather than stick with the less frequent LiveJournal blog.  It was a brilliant bit of advice and I haven’t looked back since, so thank you to Anthony for giving me the encouragement to go with the right blogging provider.

Then, there’s Farida Zeynalova, a very good friend of mine on the journalism course at the University of Northampton.  Farida has always drummed up support for the blog, through her fantastic Twitter account, even going on to say that I have a ‘a big and aspiring future.’  Thanks for your help Farida with this; it really did mean a lot. 

Two more friends of mine at the University, Ellie Birmingham and Tamika Short have always been there for me on the course and on the site too.  I know personal columns and viewpoints were a big plus point of mine and it was Tamika’s funny personal views on her site that gave me the pulling power to give this kind of blog a go.  So, she inspired me while Ellie has been a brilliant friend for me and I know she enjoyed reading my personal blogs especially.  Thank you to both of you too for your kind words of support over the past two years.

Lastly, thanks to everyone who has done any kind of reading on the 660 blogs that have gone online.  Whether that was the personal blogs I did into my life, my obsession with Skins, the entertainment reviews from my brother, my regular reports on the 2010 and 2011 FIA Formula One World Championship and those major events in the news like the General Election, the Royal Wedding, the tsunami in Japan and the summer riots in the UK.

I knew this day was coming and I am feeling a bit emotional, but I have high hopes for my future.  In 2012, I want to show that to everyone and hope that this blog has given me the starting point to a better life.  I will still keep the site online, so if you want to check up on something then come onto this site, it won’t close.  I will also put together a University of Northampton 2011/12 page in due course, when I get more work back this year and who knows, I might pop up at some point in 2012 with a few special blogs.  However, regular updating is over now and I’m so pleased I’ve had the passion and commitment to contribute in recent years.  If you still want to get in touch with me, I am still available on Twitter at @HappyDude88.

So, that’s it folks.  There’s little else for me to say, except I wish everyone a safe and brilliant Christmas and a prosperous and exciting New Year.  It has been a pleasure to share my thoughts with you and after 660….that is it. 

Thank you again and goodbye!

HappyDude88

No comments:

Post a Comment